Keep calm and call IAS about anything and everything

Please note, we are currently only offering virtual appointments. These are available Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm.

The Information & Advice Service (IAS) provides an independent, free and confidential advice, information and representation service to all students at Nottingham Trent University. We are an AQS accredited advice service provider.

We’re here to help you

Our expert advisers can offer guidance in a number of different areas ranging from money matters to mental health. As a result of our independent status we are ideally placed to provide impartial advice and representation for students regarding academic advice such as academic misconduct, academic appeals procedures, complaints against the University and disciplinary proceedings. If we can’t help you, we can usually refer you to someone who can.

Book an appointment

Online advice

Academic SupportHealth & WellbeingHousingMoney

Service Hours

Campus Details
(Term time only) Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
City Campus
Nottingham Trent Students' Union, The Students' Union, Shakespeare Street, Nottingham NG1 4GH
8:30am - 4:00pm 8:30am - 4:00pm 8:30am - 4:00pm 8:30am - 4:00pm 8:30am - 4:00pm Closed Closed
Clifton Campus
Students Union Reception, DH Lawrence, Clifton Campus, Clifton Lane, Nottingham, NG11 8NS
8:30am - 4:00pm 8:30am - 3:00pm 8:30am - 4:00pm (tel) 8:30am - 4:00pm 9:00am- 3:00pm Closed Closed
Brackenhurst Campus
Union Central, The Orangery, Brackenhurst Campus, Southwell, Nottinghamshire
Phone only Phone only Phone / Pre Booked Appointment Phone Only Phone only Closed Closed

Please note, we work reduced hours outside of term time. Contact us for more details.

Contact details

Phone: 0115 8486260


We operate a policy of strict confidentiality. This means that we do not disclose anything that a student has told us except when they have given their express permission. The policy covers even the fact that a student has consulted us.

We record all details of a case on a casework database called AdvicePro which is password protected. Only the staff at the Information and Advice Service can access this database designed for students at NTU. Records are destroyed after 7 years.

The Community Officer and the Education Officer are also included in our confidentiality policy.

In very rare cases, where for example there is reason to think that the student is likely to harm themselves or others, we may disclose information without the student's consent. If you would like a copy of the full policy please request this via email

The Information and Advice Service is a confidential service for members of Nottingham Trent Students' Union and, therefore, we can only speak to our students themselves. Please ask your son/daughter to contact us directly, so we can assess what advice and information they may need (whether from us, or another service).

We understand that students' parents are emotionally and often financially involved in their son/daughter’s lives - however we cannot discuss any student details with parents, guardians or family members or even confirm they have been in contact with us.

One of our service principles is to empower students. Your son/daughter has become legally responsible for their decisions and the consequences of how they live - we are here to help them through issues they may face, as adults. Our many years of experience has also shown it is in the best interests of adviser and student to have that direct contact.

If you do divulge any information to us about a student, and they are engaging with our service, we will make them aware of the information you have given us.

We can provide general information to parents, for example, where students can go for welfare support or academic help and you can visit our website for information on a number of issues affecting students. 

If you would like any specific advice for yourself on any issues e.g. what liabilities you have as guarantor, student finance queries etc. there is a wide range of organisations who may be able to help you, such as Citizens AdviceShelter or Student Finance.

If you have concerns about your son/daughter’s wellbeing, you may wish to contact someone at the University, although bear in mind that under normal circumstances no information about students can be divulged to parents without the student's express permission. Please read the University's parent and carer FAQ’s for more information.

For more details about sources of wellbeing information and support, both externally and within the University, please see the University’s get help and support page.

Student Minds also have useful information about supporting your son/daughter at University.

Thank you for your understanding.